Saturday, September 27, 2014

I am always up for a good romance, but I enjoy a more realistic portrayal of life and real love that somewhat mirrors my own experiences. So, while I don't want to watch all the nitty-gritty of the between-times, I do enjoy the hope that resolution inspires by giving perspective on someone else's life, someone else's trials, tribulations, romance, and real love. In films we are never stuck in the doldrums of taking out the garbage, pulling an all-nighter to get that paper in, or standing in line to get into a concert. Within two hours we experience lifetimes of trial and tribulation which completes and resolves before the curtain falls. That is the beauty of cinema.

Watch what you want
unlimited!

Try Now for Free

Browse Prime
within BuddyTV!

Activate PrimeIt's fast and free.

Not all titles featured on BuddyTV are available through Amazon Prime.


8 Amazon Prime Originals You Should Be Watching >>>

I prefer not to be told what's good; I like to decide for myself. I'll watch a trailer like the one's I've included below, but I'd rather not read the grandiose puffery splashed across book dust covers and squeezed onto the back of DVD cases. That's all promotional wizardry It's all promotional designed to get as many eye balls as possible to the screen. Many times I avoid seeing promos for my favorite shoes (Strange, considering what I do for a living) but I want to savor the rich delicacies of plot when it comes to me purely and all in one piece, whole and untainted by packaged directives about what I will see and like. But I also like to look deeper into what I watch. I like to see beyond the mere words; digest the silences, the eye contact, the raise of an eyebrow, the fall f a smile. I like to see what's there for me. And no one gets to say what that will be. 

These films, each one of them, had an impact on me.

The Reader

I chose The Reader because I like Kate Winslet and I love reading, so how could you go wrong? The prospect of incorporating reading into a relationship intrigued me. I had assumptions going into the film - the trailer suggests there's a libidinous relationship between and older woman and a much younger man - but the topic of the film is vastly different. It's about extremely difficult choices made several times throughout by both individuals in the couple. It's about tragedy and what's at the core of compassion. 

The Reader is available for free with Amazon Prime membership. 

The Stories We Tell

This is a documentary about how our lives are created and influenced by the memories we hold and stories we choose to tell ourselves and to share with others. The topic of the film is one woman's examination of those stories from the perspectives of all those involved, and her exploration into the veracity of a family myth about her true paternity. What I didn't expect to experience in The Stories We Tell was the reaction of the grown children to events in their deceased mother's life, or the intricate exploration of how that woman sought to find love and keep it.


The Stories We Tell is available on Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Summer in February

I enjoy just about anything British (their comedy could eat ours for breakfast) and I'm curious about whatever happened to Dan Stevens after his Downton Abby character, Matthew Crawley, was disappointingly dumped in a ditch as on the eve of Mary giving birth to their son. Oh, and I love anything involving British countryside estates and those delicious English accents. Summer in February has all of that and more, plus an emotional triangle with devastating consequences set in picturesque Cornwall, a peninsula bordered to the north and west by the Celtic Sea.

Summer in February is available on Amazon Prime. 

Home Run

Next I chose Home Run because I was ready for a little chick flick action and the actor on the cover is gorgeous and scruffy with amazing eyes, strong teeth and impressively prominent cheek bones and jaw line - everything I look for in an imaginary man I might want to climb watch fall in love. I expected a romance, but got a story of struggling love. The precise path Elrod struggles through toward some semblance of redemption drew me into the story a completely unexpected way. It touched my heart.

Home Run is available on Amazon Prime and Netflix. 

The Broken Circle Breakdown

The final film I watched, The Broken Circle Breakdown was my favorite of all five films. It has an extraordinary and highly unusual love relationship -- at least that's what I thought at first. The relationship is between a female tattoo artist and a banjo player with a big wooly beard. As I watched I realized these were two very real people with very realistic challenges. The story follows their love as it endures the joy of discovery and the pain of incredible loss. The ending is sad but complete and I loved it. I hope you do as well.

The Broken Circle Breakdown is available on Amazon Prime. 

There you have it friends. Five completely different movies about real love. I hope you get as much as I did out of them! All five titles can be found on Amazon Prime Instant Video. Don't have an account? Not to worry, you can sign up for a free trial right here. Your membership also includes free 2-day shipping on thousands of Prime products and access to free music and ebooks. 

(Image courtesy of Mirage Enterprises) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!