Sunday, September 7, 2014

Photo
Jane Pratt is the creator and editor in chief of the website xoJane. Credit Dave Sanders for The New York Times

Jane Pratt is the creator and editor in chief of the website xoJane, where beauty stories like "How Sunless Tanner (And Other Beauty Rituals) Helped Me Finally Quit Smoking" run beside columns by celebrity friends like Courtney Love and the popular confessional series "It Happened to Me." Ms. Pratt, 51, has been a media maven since the 1980s, when at age 24 she started Sassy, a magazine for teenagers, which had fans including Johnny Depp. In 1997, she founded Jane magazine to cater to the aging Sassy demographic. Ms. Pratt lives in a loft in TriBeCa with her daughter, Charlotte, 11, and two dogs, Balloon, a Shih Tzu-poodle mix, and Lemon, a Maltese.

Continue reading the main story

Related Coverage

RELATIONSHIP ADVICE I wake up naturally pretty early and I'll try and let Charlotte sleep as late as possible. The dogs can be a little rambunctious, so I'll sneak into the elevator with them and go down and grab the newspaper. When I get back, I'll go onto xoJane to look at the comments on the site. I post this open thread at the beginning of every weekend, where I'll write something that happened to me during the week or something I'm feeling. I can get over a thousand responses, and I will read every comment and respond to a lot of them. I feel responsible to give them the best advice I can. If they ask me about relationships, I always tell them the same thing: "Don't get married."

Photo
At home in TriBeCa. Credit Dave Sanders for The New York Times

HERBAL FUSION I'm a big believer in my different tea concoctions. I don't have coffee, but I think that teas are a cure-all. So, I have a tea I drink in the morning called "sweet tangerine positive energy tea" and I'll mix that with something called "active body tea" if I need energy. I can sometimes mix six tea bags in one cup; I don't really think about the taste that much.

BRINY HAPPY PEOPLE Usually we don't have a set plan for the day, I'm not that organized. But we would probably make a plan to meet people for a late brunch. It can be with different friends, but if Charlotte's godfather [Michael Stipe, of the rock band R.E.M.] is in the city, it wil l probably include him. We might go to the John Dory Oyster Bar for all kinds of good fishy stuff — I like when Michael orders for us, because he has good taste and he eats out a lot.

Photo
With her daughter, Charlotte, 11. Credit Dave Sanders for The New York Times

CIRCLE LINE ANYONE? I don't shop very often, but if we are with Michael, we might go into Opening Ceremony and I will get a couple of things. Charlotte loves to shop, but I'm like the cranky husband who's being dragged in with his wife. Then we would part ways with Michael, and Charlotte and I would do something spontaneous. We like to do really random, touristy things, like go to the Statue of Liberty. Way too many Sundays I end up at the Toys "R" Us in Times Square. Who would do that? It's ridiculous — it's my daughter and I and a ton of tourists.

TETHERED TO THE PHONE During all this time I'm also checking my phone — looking at xoJane, tweeting, comment ing with readers and texting back and forth with friends. Charlotte will get mad at me, like, "Oh, Mom, you are writing to xoJaners again." But Charlotte does it too! So she may have made plans to see a friend, and if that happens, I'll drop her off at a friend's house and then go do something physical. I don't necessarily exercise on the weekends, but if I get a couple of free hours in the late afternoon, I will go and try something new, like aerial yoga or trapeze school.

Photo
Outside with, left to right, Omar Miller, a friend; Mya Miller, Mr. Miller's daughter; and Charlotte. Credit Dave Sanders for The New York Times

HANG TIME After working out, I will pick up Charlotte, and depending on what part of town we are in, we may just stop in at a friend's house unannounced. I think it harks back to growing up in North Carolina. I just feel like, "Who wouldn't be happy to see us?" That could easily lead to having dinner with that person, maybe cooking something at their house.

NIGHT OWLS After dinner we often end up going out somewhere and staying out way too late for a school night. Like, we might go to the Odeon and I would have more tea and Charlotte would get dessert. She's a huge ice cream fan. I might also let her have a Shirley Temple because I'm a bad mom.

REALITY (TV) If I'm not too exhausted, and if there is something really great on TV that I've recorded, like "The Bachelorette" or "Dance Moms," I might stay up and watch a little of that before setting the alarm.

Correction: September 6, 2014

Because of an editing error, an earlier version of this article carried an incorrect byline. The article is by Julie Satow, not Julie Satow and Jane Pratt.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!