Monday, October 27, 2014

DJ JusMusic Mon, Oct 27, 2014

Singer, songwriter, radio personality, author, and actress, Lil' Mo, debuted on the music scene as Missy Elliott's protégée after signing with Elektra Records in 1998 -- She collaborated with the legendary rapper/producer on various songs including the hit single "Hot Boyz." During that time, Mo also collaborated with Ja Rule on hit records like "Put It On Me," and "I Cry," further extending her brand as a new artist and a force to be reckoned with. In 2001, Mo received her big break with her first solo hit single "Superwoman Pt. II," a collaboration with rapper Fabolous, which peaked at #11 on the Billboard Hot 100. The single also paved the way for her debut album, Based on a True Story, which peaked at #14 on the Billboard 200 chart and received rave reviews -- the album was also certified gold by the RIAA.

Since her debut, Lil' Mo released four more solo albums, including the newly released project, The Scarlet Letter, led by the single "Should've Never Let You Go." In addition to music, Lil' Mo has expanded her brand over the years, adding radio personality, author, and actress to her growing resume. Most notably, you can watch Mo on TV One's "R&B Divas: LA," which premiered in July 2013.

If you've never met Lil' Mo personally, then you've definitely missed the opportunity to be in the presence of someone real and down to earth. Check out our Digital Cover sit down with the pint-size fire cracker as she talks openly about her new book, Taming Lil' Mo, her new album, reality TV, handling gossip, and much more.

Tell us about your new book "Taming Lil' Mo."

Its piggy backing off of the Diva Logs we performed on "R&B Divas: LA" season finale for season one. It deals with the biggest battle that goes on between the twins, Cynthia vs. Lil Mo. Cynthia being the business side vs. Lil Mo, the image, the character, the monster that I've created. It also gives people an in depth look and feel for my whole duration in the music industry as well as my life growing up, and why I am the way I am. I grew up in a two-parent household, but a lot of people think that I had this perfect life, like all we did was go to church and eat dinner together, but there were a lot of things that went on. You have to read the book so you can get a better feel of who I am. I'm not just a singer, I'm an author, a mom, a wife… there's so much to Lil Mo.

Since it's like a biography, do you plan to extend it one day?

I really do want to extend it. I'm a handful and I really feel like if I give you too much at one time, you're not going to be able to handle it. That's like overdosing! This right here is just the build up to the greatest story ever told. There are still parts of my life that's still being written. Even though this book ends in a happy place, I'm still going through things; there's still more of my story to tell. At the end of the day, I'm telling my story my way, and that's the only way I would have it.

Cool, so tell us about the making and the creative process of your new album, The Scarlet Letter.

The making of this project took place during the filming of the second season of "R&B Divas: LA." How ironic, right? I was actually recording the song, "Just Not That Into You," as one of my scenes and just my whole storyline coming back for a second season. I thought, let me put out a single like I did the first time to hold the people over until they see me again. The single ended up turning into an EP, which turned into a whole album, because I just kept on recording. I ended up recording about fourteen songs and we kept ten; we might add some remixes.

Why did you name the album, The Scarlet Letter?

The title, The Scarlet Letter, I knew that it was going to attract attention. I think I was walking past an old library or a thrift store when I saw the book, and immediately I was like, 'that's the title of my next album.' From there, all the music fell under the concept.

How do you balance music and reality TV?

Music is something people have come to know and love me for; my singing voice, but when you get to see the personal side of me relive what I'm going through on reality TV, it's just like, how do you balance that out? The way that I heal and get into my mood is being in the studio. Singing for me is therapeutic; thank God I can sing in real life.

When people think about Lil' Mo musically, there's never a doubt that it's not going to be real, so as you dig deeper into these songs, what's driving the content? Is it your current happiness, your past sadness, what is it?

This album is taking it back to the true essence of Based on a True Story, the essence of Lil Mo. It's not just based on current happiness because happiness, smiles, love; all that stuff changes. But honestly, this may be one they call the honeymoon or courting period, because I'm still in the first year of me being in a new relationship. I'm also in the first year of me accepting myself actually wanting to be happy. For this project, I wanted to share what got me to my happy place – It took some losing to win again situations, it took some divorces, it took some deleting people, things, negativity, things I was accustomed to in my life, things that I was holding on to that was actually holding me back. This album has to come out for me to heal.

So, fans that are going through their own issues will be able to use this body of work in their healing process?

This is the cheapest way to keep your sanity if you really want to be sane or you can go pay that man $400 a session so he can tell you you're a little bit crazy, and they put you on all these types of medications. This is my detox album. I don't just sing songs to sing them, even if it's not about me; I usually fill someone else's shoes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!